Many of us are deficient in Magnesium and by simply soaking in a relaxing bath with magnesium rich Epsom Salt we can boost our levels of this important element. Magnesium you may wonder what is the big deal? Find out the importance of Magnesium and discover the many surprising health benefits of using Epsom Salt in your bath.
Epsom salt is known scientifically as hydrated Magnesium Sulfate. It is rich in both Magnesium and sulfate. While both Magnesium and Sulfate can be poorly absorbed through the stomach, studies show increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with Epsom Salt.
Magnesium and Sulfate are easily absorbed through the skin. Sulfates play an important role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. They stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are thought to help detoxify the body of medicines and environmental contaminants.
The Health Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths:
- It is very antispasmodic and cleansing.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence of severe diabetes.
- Flushes toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body eliminate harmful substances.
- Relieved Stress. Excess Adrenaline and Stress are believed to drain Magnesium. a natural stress reliever from the body.
- Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of Serotonin, a mood elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced Inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved Oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Prevention or easing of Migraine Headaches.
Recommended Reading on Magnesium:
The Miracle of Magnesium by Carolyn Dean
Epsom Salt Bath Method:
This bath is similar to a full hot bath except that 1kg of Epsom Salt is dissolved in the water.
The bath water should be as hot as the body can reasonably bear and prolonged for 20 minutes. It is important not to use any washing products whilst bathing. After the bath it is best to go to bed, cover up well and sweat.
An Epsom Salt Bath can be taken once a week to support your system.