Todays recipe is Quinoa Tabbouleh – this is a quick and easy dish to make which is delicious with fish, chicken or can be eaten on its own.
Quinoa is considered a grain, however it is technically the seed of a plant. It is Gluten and Wheat free, rich in amino acids, highly nutritious, a great source of dietary fiber and very tasty. It is also an excellent protein source for vegans and a great source of Magnesium, containing three times as much magnesium as calcium.
Cooked quinoa is fluffy and creamy yet slightly crunchy. I am a lover of quinoa now for a few years after I began to investigate alternatives to foods containing wheat and gluten. It is also the least allergenic of the grains available today.
Store quinoa in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
When purchasing quinoa if you are buying in large quantities remember that it expands to several times its original size during cooking.
Here is a delicious recipe to experiment with if you are interested in trying this amazing seed out.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups filtered water or organic vegetable broth
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh flat parsley
- 4 tbsp cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt, or to taste
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and wash thoroughly with cold water.
- In a medium pot, cover quinoa with the water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer, cover with lid and allow to cook for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, leave the pot covered and allow to rest for ten minutes, this allows the quinoa to become fluffy.
- The grains become translucent at the end of the cooking process and the white germ partially detaches from the main body of the grain, appearing like a white spiral tail.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, garlic, fresh mint and fresh parsley.
Add the cooked quinoa, olive oil, lemon juice and salt, stirr gently to combine all ingredients. Season with sea salt, to taste.
- Chill for at least one hour before serving or refrigerate overnight, to enhance the flavours.